Friday, September 19, 2008

It wasn't RSI

There is something about my damn bike lock. It gets stuck and is impossible to open at the most inconvenient times, like in front of the shop yesterday when I needed to pick up a few things for lunch or as I was on my way out to my Oxfam volunteering gig this morning.

Now, you are probably thinking, 'What does this have anything do with knitting?' We are astute people, but the connection is one I just made myself yesterday afternoon. When the bike lock doesn't open, I seem to think I can jiggle it a bit to get it to open. This is something I have only managed to do once...and it took me 15 minutes (I kid you not). Coincidentally, this happened to be the day that my assumed RSI started to act up....

Standing in front of the Coop grocery yesterday, I was faced with exactly the same situation. Rather than flick my right wrist in an unnatural and ungodly way, I used a four letter explative followed by 'it', and left my bike sans lock in front of the shop. For it was in that moment, I recognized that I didn't have RSI at all. What I do have is a piece of crap bike lock. And I shall let no bike lock get between me and my needles.

Knit well and knit often. And buy an easy-to-open bike lock.

No comments: